Welcome
Welcome to FANCY GUPPIES UK MEMBERS FORUM

To gain Forum access you must be a club member, Forum registration is open to club members only.registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free to club members, so why not join Fancy Guppies UK today.

What is the Moscow Gene

Findings,questions, answers on guppy genetics.

What is the Moscow Gene

Postby Malcolm Clarke » 27 Dec 2011, 10:05

Hi Guys

The original Moscow's were half body Snakeskin. Ask breeders today what is a Moscow and they would explain a solid colour Blue,Green or Red. Looking for the colour to be cover well into the head.

The Green Moscow and the Blue Moscow are essentially the same, but the Green carries a lot of Yellow colour cells in the top layer and the Blue/Purple carries a red colour cell. Then there is a Red form which supports both Grey and Albino.

I refer to Phillip Shaddocks book which states.

The Moscow gene (or genes!) is highly Y-linked. What this means is that it is only passed on from father to son because it is located on the Y chromosome and the Y chromosome is only found in males. It has a sex determining region (SDR) that determines the sex of the fry. Genes physically located near the SDR never cross over to the X chromosome. So a female, which has two X chromosomes (the male has one) cannot ever be in possession of a gene in close promixity to the SDR. A female Moscow can never be genetically a Moscow and she cannot pass on the Y-linked color traits to her sons because she does not have a Y chromosome.

This should get you going.

Malcolm
Malcolm Clarke

Re: What is the Moscow Gene

Postby Bo Jensen » 29 Dec 2011, 09:55

The different of the blue, green and purpel moscow is like this:

Green moscow has more yellow color cells than the Blue moscow and Purpel moscow has more red color cells that the Blue moscow.
Bo Jensen

Postby Steve Elliott » 06 Jan 2012, 20:37

The moscow 'feature' of a guppy refers to the black or dark blue head and 'shoulders' of the guppy. The remainder of the body can therefore be any colour or pattern. The tail shape is not relevant to the description of 'moscow' although triangle tails and round tails seem to be the most popular (it may be that the moscow gene conflicts with the other tail shape genes thus preventing this colour trait in these tail shapes - I do not know).

So the question is, like a full red you get a full black. Is it a full black or a moscow black ?
Steve Elliott

Postby Bo Jensen » 07 Jan 2012, 09:58

It looks like there is conflicts in the moscow gen a gen for sword Steve, we have seen a few dubbel sword "lookalike" with the moscow metal head, but the tail were very bad.

I am sure that there is no full black guppy, and they are all moscow black. I you follow the guppy designer web page, then there is a tred about the fullred about moscow or not.. :-)
Bo Jensen

Return to Genetics

suspicion-preferred